One of the many fanatastic things about living and working in Orkney is the chance to get to visit amazing islands, each with their own individual character. Sometimes places where not many people get a chance to visit. Earlier this year I visited Hoy, Westray and Papa Westray. At the beginning of May I got the chance to go to Copinsay again.... a beautiful day, great birds and a rather slippery walk out to Corn Holm and Black Holm, with a chance to see the rare oyster plant. A magical place.
Looking back to Corn Holm and Copinsay from Black Holm

The bay infront of Copinsay House, looking towards the Holms

Since then I've visited Swona and Pentland Skerries both very different islands, now uninhabited. Swona is green with small cliffs and a slightly eerie abandoned village. Pentland Skerries is a flat rock covered in grassy hummocks - difficult walking! It also has a lighthouse. Both with seabird colonies. However, I don't have any photos as my camera needed a new memory card ...
I have have been to other islands since then and am soon to go to more but more about them later...




2 comments:
I really need to come and visit - these places look amazing.
Gx
You'd be most welcome. x
Post a Comment